Second edition of the Academy for Music Theatre
Direction Antoine Gindt and Léo Warynski
Associate composer: Dmitri Kourliandski
Associate music ensembles: Ensemble intercontemporain, The HeadShakers
In Nîmes, in an ideal setting and an exceptional cultural context, the Academy offers a unique training program, dedicated to the study and practice of staging musical works.
Under the tutelage of a professional team, with well-known and experienced performers (singers and musicians), the Academy gives to selected teams the means of staging a work of reference of 20th century musical theater. Individual participants are invited to learn from and observe this process.
The productions are presented to the public and to a panel of professionals at the end of the Academy.
In 2023, the Academy adds to its program by welcoming Dmitri Kourliandski as an associate composer.
He will lead a group of six young composers through the issues of writing and musical dramaturgy relating to contemporary musical theater.
The Academy has three main goals:
• To offer a time of training, learning and practice,reflection and exchange to young artists with musical, theatrical and performing arts backgrounds,
To create connections between these young artists and the fundamental music theater repertoires of the 20th and 21st century
• To share this educational period with the public and professionals.
For whom ?
The Academy is open to all young artists and performing arts students (under 31 years of age at the time of application) with a master's degree or equivalent.
Applications are made based on the candidates' CVs and backgrounds and not based on a project.
An interview with the applicants will confirm the selection.
Apply as a staging team:
Teams of up to four people: stage director, playwright, stage designer, light designer, costume designer, video designer… (according to your choice)
Theoretical and practical training scheduled from November 2022 to May 2023 as follows
- November 2022 to January 2023: independent preparation within teams January or February 2023 (date to be confirmed): preparatory in-person week
- March to April 2023: project preparation April 27th to May 14th 2023: rehearsals, staging and preformance in Nîmes.
Composers, conductors, performers, singers, actors and musicians, authors, playwrights, stage directors, art school students, performing arts administration/management students, etc.
For individual participants: Theoretical training and observation scheduled from the 30th of April to the 14th of May 2023
For assistant conductors and accompanying pianists only, theoretical and practical training scheduled as follows:
- November 2022 to January 2023: independent preparation
- January or February 2023 (date to be confirmed): preparatory in-person week
- March to April 2023: remote project preparation (working with the staging teams)
- April 27th to May 14th 2023: rehearsals, staging and preformance in Nîmes
The Academy will be welcoming:
The Academy is free of charge (except for registration fees), travel and accommodation being at the expense of the participants.
A grant system can be studied.